my journey through the loss of my first son and the life of my second

Sunday, February 13, 2011

statistics

I am a little obsessed. I spend hours researching on the internet about babies and rates of survival from this stage on...23w2d.

The youngest baby that has survived the NICU in Odessa, TX was born at 23w3d. She was in the NICU for 12 weeks.

Here are the going statistics:

A reasonably easy to remember guide is that the survival rate is about 40% for all babies born at 24 weeks' gestation, 50% for those born at 25 weeks, 60% for those born at 26 weeks, 70% for those born at 27 weeks, and 80% for those born at 28 weeks.

I really don't want Ian to be born in the next week or so!!! I want a full term, healthy baby boy. I feel like I might actually be able to get that. But, I keep preparing myself for the worse.

In the last year I have spent hours and hours reading blogs and stories of babies dying. I found/find comfort in the fact that I am not alone in this journey...there are others out there that understand my pain. But, in the last week my focus has become on finding people whose babies survived with born too early. It is crazy to read the stories.

I can't believe that I am to the point in pregnancy where I may actually have a live baby at the end.

3 comments:

Danae said...

At 23 weeks, our chance of survival when Bailey was born was 10%...a heartbreaking percentage...It's amazing how much the percentage jumps in just 1 week time.

But, I am hoping and praying that Ian stays in there for at LEAST 13 more weeks!

Michele said...

the technology of the nicu is amazing. when my grandmother was "birthing babies" 34 weekers routinely died. now we are seeing more and more babies saved, like the 21 weeker from FL who is now 3. amazing.

Paige said...

you are not crazy, just a normal mommy who is pregnant again after a loss. I did the same thing...read the obits almost every day, obsessed with blogs and wondered just how long we had to go so everything would be okay. god is in control!! baby ian IS coming home:)

Post a Comment

 
Design by Small Bird Studios | All Rights Reserved