my journey through the loss of my first son and the life of my second

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

the end is near

I don't know when the "this can't be real" feeling will go away. I am guessing when he is in my arms ... alive and well. It has been a long, hard 16 months. I can't believe I am so very close to meeting my sweet second born.

I had my final growth scan today...5 lbs 2 oz! I have a 5 lb baby boy growing healthy inside my womb!!!!! God is so good!

I have been seeing the MFM (maternal fetal medicine doctor) once a week since 13 weeks. I am 34 weeks this week...that is A LOT of appts! My chart probably weighs in at about the same weight as Ian! The doctor joked with me today that the little prongs are not even holding in the paper anymore. Every nurse knows me and our story. It is wonderful that we have had such great treatment...just a little sad that it has even been necessary. My doctor said today that with all the stuff that has gone wrong this pregnancy and all the complications I have had he didn't think it would be safe to go past 37 weeks. That is 23 days away!!!!!!!!! I apologized for being so complicated. He laughed at me for apologizing. I loved that he said, "so when do you think we should call it quits?" I said, "TODAY!" He said if my blood pressure was still as high as it had been before the medication he would be suggesting delivery in the next two weeks...but the medicine has it under control so Ian gets a few extra weeks. I am fine with that...I am beyond thrilled to have a FULL TERM baby! I can't even believe it! My incompetent cervix has held tight for 34 weeks...and is now holding in a 5 lb 2 oz baby plus placenta plus fluid...I just can't even process it.

The MFM will not actually be the doctor that delivers Ian...that will be my normal OB. I see him tomorrow. He will have my ultrasound report and the recommendation from the MFM of "calling it quits" at 37 weeks. I hope to leave tomorrow's appt with the date for induction or c-section! I still don't know what he will recommend. The MFM says he thinks vaginal delivery is a real possiblilty. But, it is up my OB.

I can't believe that my little man will be in my arms in the next few weeks.

3 comments:

fuzzandfuzzlet said...

WOW! 5 pounds is a really good weight. Babies really do well at this weight. It is exciting that he could come any day now with really, really good odds!

Sherri said...

how exciting!!!

Michele said...

Congratulations on your big boy! Continuing to hold you in prayer and hoping for a beautiful, wonderful experience.

Post a Comment

 
Design by Small Bird Studios | All Rights Reserved