my journey through the loss of my first son and the life of my second

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

success

I am sure by now if you have read my blog for any length of time you know that I have an incompetent cervix. What is it??

(all these answers are from the University of Chicago Medical Center)

Q. What is cervical insufficiency or incompetent cervix?
A. Normally, a woman’s cervix should open with the beginning of labor after about nine months of pregnancy. But in some women, pressure from a growing fetus in the uterus causes the cervix to open prematurely, leading to a second trimester pregnancy loss of what would otherwise be a normal full term delivery. This loss typically occurs between the 16th and 24th week of pregnancy -- with the vast majority between the 18th and 22nd week of gestation.


SO, of course this is what happened with Trent. I had NO signs of my cervix failing...well none that I knew to look for. I was admitted to the hospital with membranes bulging at 20w5d. All of what happened fell into the "normal" range for a woman with IC. YUCK!

1 to 2% of women have IC. Lucky me.

Why me?? I have searched for this answer since that fateful day. I don't think I will know the answer this side of heaven. Medically speaking I have a birth defect...

Q. What are the circumstances that cause this condition?
A. Many women first become aware of incompetent cervix after losing their first pregnancy. Most often, the woman has a birth defect that affects the normal shape of the uterus or cervix, though they have no history to indicate the condition.
However, women who may be at risk for cervical insufficiency include those who:

Had a previous dilation and curettage (D & C)
Had a previous surgery for an abnormal PAP smear, such as LEEP (loop electrosurgical excision procedure) or CKC (cold knife conization) that damaged the cervix
While infrequent, incompetent cervix can happen during a later pregnancy after having a previous normal birth.


There was no way to know it was there and no way to prevent it. It just is the way I was made.

After losing Trent I felt like I became an expert on the subject of IC. I spent hours googling and trying to understand the condition. I knew that if and when we got pregnant again I would need a cerclage placed. Well, of course, you all know that is exactly what happened. It was placed at 14w6d and removed at 36w3d. Guess what?????

According to my research only 85% of TVC (trans vaginal cerclages) ((there are different kinds you can have...i had a TVC)) are successful. That means that 15% of women who have a TVC placed do not carry the child to full term. It doesn't mean that all 15% don't have a living child at the end (with a NICU stay for the baby) It means that 15% do not make it to 36 weeks because of complications with the cerclage or pregnancy. Guess what I am??? I AM A SUCCESS STORY!!!!!!

I feel like i have fallen into the 1% or 3% or 10% or whatever % of problem catagory for way too long! As of last Friday when I hit 36 weeks with Ian still in my womb I became a SUCCESS!!!!

It feels good to be in the success box. It feels good to finally have a statistic on my side! It feels good to know that that tiny stitch held my baby in!!

Praise God!!!

As of right now I have been free from my cerclage for 24 hours. I have had NO bleeding, NO contractions, and NO problems!!

I am sore from removal but I really think it is the HUGE thingy they used to open it all up!

6 more days!!

3 comments:

Terra said...

I love the word success!!! And statistics can either be the thorne of one's existence or a great triumph such as yours!!! God bless Ian, yourself and Ken as you prepare for the best day of your life!!! And may Jesus let big brother Trent look down with gladness and see what all of us one day in eternity will see...a very blessed and loved family! :)

tasivfer said...

How lovely to be in the successful end of the stats! :-)

Lynn said...

Congrats on being in the great success category! Can't wait to see pics of Ian :D He'll be the greatest trophy of all!

Post a Comment

 
Design by Small Bird Studios | All Rights Reserved